Replacing Tomboy with Gnote in Fedora GNOME group

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Apr 13 14:50:54 UTC 2009

On 04/13/2009 05:11 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 12:38 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> And Tomboy is? From an user point of view the two are identical and I
>> expect to launch them in the same way,
> I haven't ever used Tomboy (or any other notes app) and to my unaffected
> eye it seems like the best places for it are applications menu and
> desktop pop-up menu. It does not make any sense to me for it to be in a
> panel...

My point is: Tomboy is launched as an applet, Gnote is a replacement for
Tomboy, so I expect it to be launched the same way (Tomboy is a
replacement for Sticky Notes, and that *was* an applet).

I won't dive into the debate about applet versus application, as this
was probably beaten to death on the upstream mailing list (GNOME, about
Tomboy), but the thing about note taking applications is that you don't
launch them when you need to read/write a note, they are part of the
desktop with an icon in the notification area. So you interact only with
that icon.