Using champlain sometime in the future?

Dan Winship dwinship at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 14:10:49 UTC 2009

Debarshi Ray wrote:
> Champlain recently got a Summer of Code student to work on getting the
> map rendered locally [1] (using OpenStreetMap xml data) as opposed to
> downloading the pre-rendered tiles as is currently being done. If it
> works out well, would it be a good idea to use it in our clock applet
> and timezone selection widgets?

I imagine that even the raw shape data (for the whole world) is too huge
for us to be able to package, so it would pretty much depend on being
online, and so this would probably not be all that different for us than
just using libchamplain with pre-rendered tiles now. (Meaning if you're
excited about this, you can start hacking on it now without waiting for
the new API. :-)

There's also another SoC happening this summer to add GeoClue support to
various things in GNOME, including autoselecting a location in the
clock. (GeoClue is a framework for aggregating location information from
various sources--GPS peripherals, IP-to-location mapping services, wifi
SSID to location mapping services, etc--and providing a best guess of
the user's location to other services on the machine.) Confusingly
though, this SoC is officially sponsored by the Linux Foundation, not
GNOME--a wireless driver hacker proposed a SoC for "have NetworkManager
use GeoClue to find the current location and tell the wireless driver,
so the driver can use the correct range of radio frequencies according
to local law", but the proposal that was eventually accepted involves
more GNOME-side hacking than kernel-side (and is therefore being
unofficially co-mentored by GNOME (specifically, me)).

-- Dan