Dropping Gimp from the live cd

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 17:02:26 UTC 2009

On 08/05/2009 09:50 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 09:39 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> This still elludes the question that's being asked.  If the LiveCD's
>> target audience is office workers wanting to do things with the livecd,
>> then this plus Bill's note that we still have apps on the livecd to do
>> basic photo touchups is sufficent.  But for the people wanting to show
>> others what Fedora and free software are capable of at conferences and
>> shows, there is a desire to show people the best of breed software.
>
> The problem is that with a CD sized target, there just isn't enough
> space to both A) have a generally useful system for doing
> web/email/etc.. and B) have room to showcase grate software that is
> generally only available on Linux (Firefox isn't a great example as you
> can run that on MSFT and OSX just fine, why go to the effort of running
> Fedora for it?).

That's the dichotomy I set up, yes.  There's two separate audiences --
those who want to do useful out-of-the-box work with the livecd and then
add features to the install incrementally via packagekit and those who
want to see what all the fuss is about by checking out the apps on the
livecd and then downloading more things with packagekit so they have an
install that meets all their needs.  As the amount of space we have
becomes more scarce, having the two audiences be satisfied by the same
spin is becoming harder.

-Toshio