Dropping Gimp from the live cd

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 5 17:29:16 UTC 2009

> Máirín Duffy (duffy at fedoraproject.org) said:
> > > But for the people wanting to show
> > > others what Fedora and free software are capable of at conferences and
> > > shows, there is a desire to show people the best of breed software.
> >
> > Maybe there should be a demo-ware spin?
>
> Some best-of-breed open source stuff like puppet, or apache,
> or <insert other examples here> doesn't really lend itself to a
> demo-ware spin. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't/couldn't have one,
> but it's not going to be a full best-of-breed of what Fedora can do.

I guess it could be tailored to the conference or to the general
interests our booth workers have experienced in the booth. I have
noticed from my 'booth babe' experiences that veyr visual
demonstrations, though, are very quick & effective and go a long way
towards making a good impression. Giving a demo of something like puppet
I think would require a level of expertise/coordination/advance setup on
the part of the booth worker that would probably not be worth the
return.

The point wouldn't be to show the full best-of-breed what Fedora can do,
just a sampling based on what's easily demo-able by our booth workers
and what makes a good impression easily and quickly.

I guess this could be achieved in other ways though. Like when we were
at the FUDcon Berlin booth, Nicu and I created a graphic and made a
video showing all the steps of the graphic's creation so it could be
played back as a demonstration of what Fedora can do. Along those lines,
we could have a set of videos that could be played to give the demos,
although it would be cool to also have the apps used in the demos
available for people visiting the booth to play with. ('you saw what we
did, now it's your turn to try' kind of thing)

~m