Dropping Gimp from the live cd

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 16:19:49 UTC 2009

On 08/06/2009 08:26 AM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 08/06/2009 05:54 PM, Matej Cepl wrote:
>>
>> I know and I am not fighting for OOo inclusion, just showing that we
>> don't follow "make the most useful and shiny apps available" logic
>> already.
>
> OOo is so big so it is an exception, is it or *several* other
> applications, making the choice easier.
>
> ...and it can be argued OOo is not "cool", is "useful", you do with it
> mostly boring stuff. It is also not integrated well in the desktop and
> so on.

And two other arguments, one mine, the other from Jesse:

* The two main use OOo apps have replacements that are good and very
good (abiword, gnumeric).
* OOo, like firefox, is equally promoted on windows.  So it's not a
Linux-specific showcase item.

But I think this line of discussion isn't as productive as discussion
about splitting the two targets of the current desktop spin and what the
requirements might be for having a successful demo-spin.  Is openoffice
a requirement for that audience?

-Toshio