Dropping Gimp from the live cd

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 16:36:49 UTC 2009

On 08/06/2009 09:27 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi (a.badger at gmail.com) said:
>> But I think this line of discussion isn't as productive as discussion
>> about splitting the two targets of the current desktop spin and what the
>> requirements might be for having a successful demo-spin.  Is openoffice
>> a requirement for that audience?
>
> Well, I think this thread has conflated a few issues by now:
>
> - should the desktop spin be limited to a single CD in size?
> - should the desktop spin have best of breed apps for any demo-able
>   use cases?
> - should we highlight these on fp.o, instead of doing a spin?
>
> There's probably some others that I've missed. But until we
> answer the first, we can't really logically work on the second,
> I think.

The answer to the first is another set of questions:

- Do we still have areas of the world where a livecd will work in a
computer but either burning or booting from livedvds or liveusb is
infeasible?
- Do we still want the desktop spin to be the default download option on
get-fedora?

As long as those two hold true, the desktop spin must be limited to a
single CD in size.  Note that the first of those questions needs to be
addressed to a wider audience than the desktop team but the second is
within the desktop team's control.

-Toshio