GNOME Shell support in desktop-effects

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Aug 26 20:43:05 UTC 2009

> On 08/24/2009 09:06 AM, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > I just pushed a set of changes to the desktop-effects repository on
> > fedorahosted to add support for GNOME Shell.
> >
> > The basic idea can be seen in the screenshot attached - instead of a
> > single "Enable Desktop Effects" button, the user is now presented
> > with a three-way choice of "Standard" "Compiz" and "GNOME Shell", with
> > short explanations for each.
>
> Why isn't this part of the appearance capplet instead of cluttering the
> long preferences menu? My preference menu doesn't even fit on the screen
> and I have to scroll to see all the items which is clumsy.

We have not just removed irrelevant crap from the appearance capplet to
make room for more....

This switching mechanism is temporary to facilitate trying out the shell
while it is in beta. It will go away when the shell becomes the primary
interface.

Also, if you use the switch you are complaining about, your menu
problems will be solved by way of the shell not having menus :-)

Matthias