No MTA on the desktop

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 27 16:27:22 UTC 2009

Hi

Short proposal:

Sendmail is a daemon enabled by default forever and ever but it doesn't
make much sense for the desktop and we should remove it for Fedora 12.
This will save disk space and reduce startup time.

Longer Story:

For context,

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-August/msg00660.html

A proposal has been made at

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NoMTA

That is going to go through FESCo and since it is past feature freeze, I
think it makes sense for now to use ssmtp in the desktop kickstart file
and drop sendmail. Will Woods confirmed that it wouldn't really break
anything. Note that ssmtp doesn't queue mails but I don't think any
mails send by cron is going to be either visible or useful for the
desktop user.

When I was maintaining the Xfce spin, we did replace sendmail with ssmtp

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=blob_plain;f=fedora-livecd-lxde.ks;hb=HEAD

It's been a few releases since.

LXDE spin is doing the same thing as well

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=blob_plain;f=fedora-livecd-lxde.ks;hb=HEAD

Can the desktop team consider this?

Rahul