upwards and onwards

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 04:43:19 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 10:24 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> - Include OpenOffice instead of abiword. OpenOffice is the premier open
> source office suite, and abiword is on the current live CD purely for
> size reasons.
>
> - Use shotwell as the default photo management app instead of gthumb.
> This may be a bit of a surprise for some. Shotwell is a relatively new
> application, that is in Fedora only since F12. I have mentioned it on
> this list before. The 0.3.0 release that has just come out is very close
> to the feature set that we'd ideally expect to have in a default photo
> management app. It also starts very fast.
>
> - Remove remaining Bluecurve icons from fedora-gnome-theme. This will
> probably leave some holes in the menus, and we'll need help from artists
> to fill those.

I have now made these changes in comps / spin-kickstarts, so that have
some nightly spins before Fudcon to see how these changes look in
practice - my own build with these changes came out around 850M.

I didn't enact changes to cut the discussion short, though. I do think
that the unified installer idea is interesting and should be explored
further, maybe at Fudcon.

Matthias