Best way to register a file format plugin for an app with nautilus's mime-handler etc.

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Tue Feb 24 09:03:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 09:51 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 11:17 +0000, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> > So is the right solution to install a new .destop along with that
> > extension with NoDisplay=true set and the list of extra mime-types that
> > the extension adds to writer and then use the same Exec line from the
> > normal parent package .desktop ?
>
> This sounds like it could work. Have you tried it? I can't think of a
> better approach really.

Yeah, seems to work. For the rawhide openoffice.org-javafilter rpm which
adds import filters to OOo for weird-ass small-device formats like
PocketWord and AportisDoc I tried a openoffice.org-javafilter.desktop
of...

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Small Device Format Importer
Exec=openoffice.org %U
MimeType=application/x-aportisdoc;application/x-pocket-word;
NoDisplay=true

and it seemed to work just fine. Definitely made nautilus launch OOo for
those types anyway.

C.