Menu structure change

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 16 09:25:41 UTC 2009

Am Freitag, den 06.02.2009, 14:01 -0500 schrieb Matthias Clasen:
> Hey,
>
> I have just build a redhat-menus package that gets rid of the Submenus
> in Preferences. We kinda inherited them from the control-center shell,
> which never really took off, and they didn't really work well, since the
> categorization left people guessing which submenu to open.

I don't thing that's a good argument, because you get used to the
submenus quickly. I really liked them. We worked hard to get everything
right, filed bugs against packages that were not inside of the submenus,
and now we throw all this away?

> This means the Preferences menu will be a bit long. We should perhaps
> take it as encouragement to weed out some unnecessary things from
> there...

I have a pretty standard install of F10 and I have 28 menu entries for
preferences. A screen with 600 px height and two panels can only take 18
menu entries, this means that we'll have to remove 10. This isn't
possible, at least without ether a) removing stuff that really is needed
or b) major changes in Gnome upstream.

> Matthias

Regards,
Christoph