Request for comments for Banshee transition feature proposal

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 00:11:01 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 00:44 +0100, David Nielsen wrote:

> Rhythmbox is not the default GNOME mediaplayer, GNOME only ships
> Totem.

My mistake.

> Till such a time as Fedora deems Mono non-free, the fact that Mono and
> banshee is present means it lives up to the strict guidelines for
> freedom Fedora requires and should be able to be considered on equal
> footing. If we are second class citizens without any chance of ever
> being included please tell us officially, I am sure I and the other
> people working tirelessly to improve Mono would love to know if we are
> wasting our time, if that is the case it might save everyone a lot of
> headaches and wasted manhours of contributions that could be invested
> in non-Fedora venue which is interested in this work.

I think it has/should have equal footing to say C++ or python stuff
(that said, I prefer to have plain C applications as much as possible,
partly because every other language needs an additional layer of
bindings if it uses GTK+), but the design and the background being how
it is makes it somehow less favourable choice for being installed by
default (I recall when people [users] complained back in the time when
mono was shipped first in Fedora about it actually being there, but
times change...). But I certainly wouldn't hold it back *just* because
of this.

>         Also from what I read, it also joins the functionality of
>         video and
>         audio players... Well, while there is some non-zero
>         intersection of
>         those, I don't quite like having it both managed by one app.
>         That's not
>         how gnome apps usually do it.
>
> I have to admit I kinda like it, I was skeptical at first. Where it
> really starts to shine is for video podcasts, automatically downloaded
> (and with a bit of dbus magic even torrent payloads can be downloaded
> which is really powerful not to mention shiny). There is an increasing
> intersection of differing kinds of media in peoples collections,
> vodcasts, music videos, tv shows, movies, e.g. I believe it's valuable
> to interact with them through the same library and application.

Well, it's valuable to interact with them through the same library, but
I still prefer having say three tightly connected small applications
optimized for the very task they ought to do rather than having a big
one doing all that by itself...

> - David Nielsen

Martin