Alpha checkpoint

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Jan 27 07:45:50 UTC 2009

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> - Empathy. When we switched back to pidgin as the default im client late
> in the F10 cycle, we agreed to reevaluate empathy around the time of the
> F11 alpha, and see if the concerns that prevented it from being the
> default in F10 have been addressed.

Won't comment about this, myself I am forced to use Yahoo as the primary
IM transport, so Empathy is useless for me, but I know I am a corner case.

> - Brasero. Upstream GNOME is moving towards replacing nautilus-cd-burner
> with brasero in 2.26 (following a move that some distros have already
> made). Some integration issues clearly still have to be worked out, but
> we should consider if we want to follow this in F11, or stay with
> nautilus-cd-burner for the time being. Even if we decided to do that,
> we'll have to look at possible conflicts if n-c-b and brasero are
> installed at the same time.

Brasero was recently upgraded in F10 from 0.82 to 0.84 and I find its
new user interface much better, from an user point of view it would not
be bad as a default. I personally prefer it as a default instead of
n-c-b, but that is mostly because I need some of its advanced features.

> - CD size. Jeremy informed me that the recent flurry of font packaging
> changes seem to have freed up a considerable amount of space on the
> desktop spin, to the point where we might even consider shipping OOo
> (sans langpacks, of course) instead of abiword. We should look at the
> various options for filling the space we have.

If we have the space available, instead of one single application (well,
OOo is not just a single application but...) we can include a few more
smaller ones, like Inkscape and something else. Or some freely licensed
multimedia content.