Plymouth and re-branding

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 5 16:22:21 UTC 2009

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> yRahul Sundaram (sundaram at fedoraproject.org) said:
>> During bootup, plymouth shows "Fedora 10" at the end of the progress bar
>> half way through and replacing it, requires replacing fedora-release and
>> rebuilding the initrd which doesn't work very well in a live cd. Details
>> at
>>
>> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/fedora-spins/2008-December/000336.html
>>
>> It would be helpful for remixes if we could avoid branding. Do I file a
>> bug report on that?
>
> It pulls the information from /etc/fedora-release - there's nothing to
> do in plymouth itself. If your /etc/fedora-release comes from a correctly
> rebranded package, the right thing should happen.

Well, here is the thing. I run sed on /etc/fedora-release, I get a
rebranded distro everywhere except for plymouth which already has picked
up the name and won't let it go. Now I did replace fedora-release with
my own foo-release but then I realized, I have to maintain my own
repository now as well inorder to not break the upgrade path. I would
like to avoid doing that by just not having Plymouth display that text
at all.

Rahul