Alpha checkpoint

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 16:32:07 UTC 2009

With the F11 alpha coming out in a few days, I think now is a good time
to list a few things that we should look at for the desktop spin in F11:

- Empathy. When we switched back to pidgin as the default im client late
in the F10 cycle, we agreed to reevaluate empathy around the time of the
F11 alpha, and see if the concerns that prevented it from being the
default in F10 have been addressed.

- Brasero. Upstream GNOME is moving towards replacing nautilus-cd-burner
with brasero in 2.26 (following a move that some distros have already
made). Some integration issues clearly still have to be worked out, but
we should consider if we want to follow this in F11, or stay with
nautilus-cd-burner for the time being. Even if we decided to do that,
we'll have to look at possible conflicts if n-c-b and brasero are
installed at the same time.

- CD size. Jeremy informed me that the recent flurry of font packaging
changes seem to have freed up a considerable amount of space on the
desktop spin, to the point where we might even consider shipping OOo
(sans langpacks, of course) instead of abiword. We should look at the
various options for filling the space we have.

Matthias