Fedora desktop spin size issues, update

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Jul 6 18:49:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 13:28 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Is it really worth the effort to keep our flag spin on a CD? I really
> don't think so.

Probably not.

However, the constraint being addressed for testing here is "a
more-or-less functional image that fits on whatever media the tester
happens to have", which means aiming for 700M is a worthwhile target.
Maybe we need separate test kickstarts depending on the test profile?
Maybe.  We'd still have to play a size game.

For actual live images, there's still a benefit in aiming small.
Seeking on optical media sucks, bandwidth isn't free, etc.  So we should
really be coming at this from other end: figure out how much space we
need to get a reasonable experience, and then see what media target is
near that size and tighten our belts if necessary.  We could probably do
a decent job in a mini-dvd form factor, I suspect.

>  o  Have a very minimal desktop live _CD_ for installs. Bandwidth-
>     and/or DVD-constrained users can then use this and then install more
>     stuff via PackageKit. This would also help the PackageKit "install
>     software" story. Might also help save bandwidth altogether.

Yeah, a reasonable rescue CD would be hot.  Though again, it's still a
size game.  Knoppix clocks in at 645M

- ajax