Raising the bar

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 12:26:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:45:19AM +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> > we'd like to announce the 'Fit and Finish' initiative for Fedora,
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fit_and_Finish
> >
> > with the goal to improve the user experience of the Fedora desktop. We
> > want to identify the small (and sometimes large) roadblocks that make
> > everyday computer use harder than it needs to be, and try to fix them.
>
> In Ubuntu there's a "Help" button on the top menu bar that leads to a
> nice help application, yelp.  We have that app too, but it doesn't
> seem to have the same contents, which are:
>
> New to Ubuntu?
> Adding and Removing Software
> Files, Folders and Documents
> Customising Your Desktop
> Internet
> Music, Videos and Photos
> Assistive Tools
> Keeping Your Computer Safe
> Printing, Faxing and Scanning
> Advanced Topics
>
> And under each section there's a clear explanation of what to do.
> Maybe we have something equivalent for Fedora, but I can't find it.

Perhaps this is something you could raise separately with the Fedora
Docs team.  I'm just getting back from some travel during which I
caught wind of some new documentation standards being produced by the
GNOME docs community to make documentation more task-based, with which
I agree whole-heartedly.  Also, our own Docs team is working on
providing an easy way for people to retrieve and install
language-specific documentation such as a user guide which would
integrate into the desktop menu system.  (I'm pretty sure that
integration is desktop environment-neutral.)  The confluence of those
two developments might provide some better docs at the desktop level.