Cleaning up the Administration menu on the live cd

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Jul 8 02:48:21 UTC 2009

Mani A (a.mani.cms at gmail.com) said:
> >> They can be removed, provided the other alternatives are stable
> >> enough. But do keep a menu item 'System-Config-Missing' with a link to
> >> documentation pointing to the correct GUI and CLI alternatives and
> >> other options.
> >
> > ... how is that a useful UI to give to the user?
> >
> > Either what we have on the LiveCD is good enough, and we don't need
> > a weird 'missing link' documentation item. Or it isn't good enough...
> > and it should be fixed to be. Equivocating isn't useful.
>
> It can be useful for new users and users with some previous Fedora
> experience who may not care to look at the release notes.

That, by definition, is everyone. If that's what you mean, say that.

> This class may become confused and possibly move over to some other distro.

How would they be confused any more than they would with different
configuration being available in the Desktop, KDE, XFCE, and LXDE spins?

I still maintain the only sensible action is to ship one set of tools
that works well and is integrated, not random docs that say 'oh,
you may want to look elsewhere.'

Bill