Cleaning up the Administration menu on the live cd

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 19:40:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 05:39:51PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 17:38 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Here is a proposal for a drastic first cut, dropping tools that are
> > dysfunctional or obsoleted by other modules or of limited use or totally
> > uninteresting for the target audience of a desktop spin:
>
> Cool, thanks for doing this.
>
> > - s-c-firewall
>
> I'd nuke this one too. Along with modifying the desktop livecd ks file
> to completely disable the firewall. Should be easy enough, I think the
> kickstart syntax has a shortcut for this.
>
> (The rationale for why the above is the right thing to do for the
> _desktop_ livecd can be found in the archives for this list and the
> archives for fedora-devel-list. Please familiarize yourself with these
> threads before flaming. Thanks.)

Has anyone talked with the s-c-firewall maintainer and other
interested parties to see what could be done to change the model by
which it works?  E.g.:

* Punching holes where needed to support Avahi, user file sharing, ...

* Setting networks up for trust, so you could operate more freely on
  your home wireless, but be less trusting at a new wireless network
  you don't own

>From what I hear, Thomas Woerner was interested in collaborating on
these features.