A less cluttered desktop

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Fri Jul 24 16:49:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 14:17 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> I expected this change to be more a to shock to the end user than it
> turned out to be.The feed back I received was that having icons in
> "Places" felt out of place to the rest of the menu. The only solutions
> to that problem when asked was to either bring back all the icons or
> move either applications in "Places" or place "Places" in whole under
> "Applications" or "System" so the path to it would be Application -->
> Places or System --> Places.

I'm trying out the new default gconf settings in F11 (not Rawhide) and -
as expected - I don't have any icons in the File/Edit/... menus for each
window. Yay, menus are much snappier.

On the downside, there's also no icons in Applications / Places /
System. So does Rawhide GNOME handle them differently? I can't imagine
that losing icons in the panel menu (or having them only in Places as
Johann describes) is the intended behavior.

-w