The default theme for F12

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 31 23:55:53 UTC 2009

Am Freitag, den 31.07.2009, 17:36 -0400 schrieb Matthias Clasen:
> On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 15:35 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Matthias Clasen (mclasen at redhat.com) said:
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > we've been discussing the idea of changing the default GTK+/Metacity
> > > theme in F12. Nodoka has been the default for a while, and it seems to
> > > undergo a major rework now ( http://mso-chronicles.blogspot.com/ ).
> > >
> > > We don't want to do a radical visual change, though. The idea is to go
> > > back to the upstream default, Clearlooks.

>From what I see the change in Nodoka is not that radical, even if Martin
started from scratch. A change to Clearlooks would be IMO more radical -
and more boring.

Nodoka has become a characteristic of Fedora, it's developed by a Fedora
member inside the Project. I think we should stick with Nodoka,  at
least for F12. There will be no major changes and we can decide again
for F13 about whether we follow Martins approach or go somewhere else.

> > Well, that would still be a visual change. Given that he's restarting
> > nodoka from scratch, that would leave the options as being either:
> > - go to clearlooks
> > - stay with the old nodoka version
> > ?
>
> I see that I should have phrased this better...
>
> What I meant to covey is: we _do_ want some visual change,

Do we? I'm fine with Nodoka as is.

>  e.g. get rid
> of some small annoyances in the current default theme, such as the
> dotted lines in treeviews.

I like them. If they annoy you, file a bug or turn them off as Martin
already wrote.

> But as far as change goes, it is probably fine to keep it subtle (like
> going to Clearlooks) and not radical, like Lennart proposes (pick a dark
> default theme).

No dark them please. If Ubuntu or others want to follow every new hip
trend from Redmond - ok. But not Fedora please.

Nodoka has become too important for Fedora and Martin has put much work
in it, so we shouldn't just throw it all away.

Regards,
Christoph