Gnote in F12

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Thu Jun 4 06:58:16 UTC 2009

Debarshi Ray, Wed, 03 Jun 2009 14:06:29 +0530:
>> E.g., I maintain a package
>> of jbrout (no, it is not Java, but Python), which looks really similar
>> to what you are doing and needs more maintainers (well, another
>> maintainer).
>
> How does it compare with programs like F-Spot and Eye of GNOME with
> respect to resource consumption?

Comparing to f-spot very favorably ... it doesn't drag whole VM
machinery, and feels pretty fast (I don't have any *sharp* packages
installed though, so it is some time last time I had personal experience
with f-spot). Truth to be told its functionality is limited to f-spot (it
can call Gimp on selected image, but doesn't do almost any image
manipulation itself), but that's debatable whether image collection
manager should duplicate functionality of Gimp. And of course, patches
welcome :).

Comparing to eog is unfair to eog ... viewing of images doesn't cover the
main functionality of jbrout, which is management of the collection of
images -- tagging (all tags stored in IPTC keywords, no database, just a
cache), plugins, export to flickr/picassa/your own webpage/email/etc,
fast search. Take a look at http://jbrout.free.fr/index.php

Anyway, initial caching of all metadata takes some time, but otherwise it
feels reacting instantenous ... I have a developer's machine though, so I
may not be right person to judge on this.

Try it for yourself!

Matěj