Interested in scanning?

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 17:30:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 11:40 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 06/06/2009 05:19 AM, William Jon McCann wrote:
> > But what should that be?  From a quick look at the (possibly out of
> > date) gnome-scan web page it seems to me that it is trying to be an
> > application.  That approach may have similar problems to those of
> > sound-juicer.  Basically this is somewhat hard to solve if we don't
> > have a rhythmbox for photos... unless we do something like the
> > screenshot tool where we offer a few fixed options:
> >    1. Save to Photos
> >    2. Upload to Flickr
> >    3. Upload to Picasa
> >    4. Save as PDF
>
> The operations I do the most are:
> 1. send the image by mail (but I prefer to save first so I can send more
> than one file in each email);

Some nautilus-sendto integration would be in order then. I did this for
Evolution, so you can right-click on attachments and have them sent via
Bluetooth, or another person straight away, without having to save them
first on the hard disk.

> 2. edit the image with GIMP.

That's a given.

> I don't think is a good idea for us to promote by default the usage of
> proprietary services (flickr, picasaweb). Maybe by default we should
> offer uploading by sftp and to gallelry2 and flickr and picasaweb be
> installable plug-ins.

It's pretty much the same architecture. We should be using Conduit for
this (Conduit ships with a Totem plugin that allows you to upload the
currently playing video to Youtube, without going through a web browser,
or another application).

> > Incidentally whatever we do we should do the same for cameras...
>
> Cameras have a different usage pattern, usually you download from the
> camera a large amount of images and do something with them (selection,
> cropping) before publishing.

Red-eye removal, people tagging, keyword tagging... Different usage
pattern.