Interested in scanning?

William Jon McCann william.jon.mccann at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 02:19:46 UTC 2009

Hey,

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 6:23 AM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:
> Heya,
>
> Yesterday, I was browsing Ubuntu's "Blueprints" for their next release,
> and saw this:
> https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-karmic-gnomescan
>
> gnome-scan is already packaged by Deji, but I gather that more
> integration work could be done to make setting up and using scanners
> easier in GNOME and Fedora in general.
>
> Any takers?
>
> I think a good start would be making a list of problems seen in setting
> up scanners (additional packages required, tweaks), and make sure that
> gnome-scan and the necessary plugins are installed in a default
> installation.

Would certainly be nice to have something reasonable happen when I
connect a scanner and hit the hardware scan button.

But what should that be?  From a quick look at the (possibly out of
date) gnome-scan web page it seems to me that it is trying to be an
application.  That approach may have similar problems to those of
sound-juicer.  Basically this is somewhat hard to solve if we don't
have a rhythmbox for photos... unless we do something like the
screenshot tool where we offer a few fixed options:
  1. Save to Photos
  2. Upload to Flickr
  3. Upload to Picasa
  4. Save as PDF

Incidentally whatever we do we should do the same for cameras...

Jon