Empathy in F12

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Jun 9 14:56:23 UTC 2009

Hi,

in the past, we have delayed switching to empathy as the default IM
client, because it seemed not ready [1]. Meanwhile, many of the UI
glitches that caused the initial negative review have been fixed and
empathy is growing interesting features like video chat [2] and
geolocation [3]. Ubuntu is going to do the same switch this cycle which
should lead to some synergy in getting remaining issues fixed.

I think we should pick this up again for F12, and see how it goes. I
wanted to say 'lets do the switch in time for alpha', but considering
there may be no alpha, lets just do the switch when the next empathy
release happens (which should be sometime next week).

Matthias

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Empathy
[2] http://people.collabora.co.uk/~xclaesse/screenshot/empathy-call.png
[3] http://blog.pierlux.com/2009/01/22/empathy-where-are-you/en/