Raising the bar

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 19:27:27 UTC 2009

Hey all,

we'd like to announce the 'Fit and Finish' initiative for Fedora,

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fit_and_Finish

with the goal to improve the user experience of the Fedora desktop. We
want to identify the small (and sometimes large) roadblocks that make
everyday computer use harder than it needs to be, and try to fix them.

'Fit and Finish' is meant to be complementary to the work of the Fedora
QA team. They do a great job of ensuring the quality of all the new
features that land in Fedora each cycle. But when features are developed
and tested on their own, the overall experience of the system as a whole
can sometimes end up a bit uneven and rough. 'Fit and Finish' will focus
on improving the way our users experience Fedora.

To achieve this, we will hold regular test days, each of which will
focus on use cases in a certain area. A few ideas for test day topics
can be found on the 'Fit and Finish' page already. If you have ideas for
other areas that could benefit from this kind of attention, please let
us know.

Our first test day will focus on display configuration, and will be held
on Tuesday, July 7, from 12:00 to 21:00 UTC (8am -> 5pm EDT), in the
fedora-fit-and-finish irc channel on FreeNode. Please come and join us
there !

Matthias Clasen for the Desktop team