Desktop Live DVD: diff

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Thu Nov 5 20:34:51 UTC 2009

> Personally I think one of the nice things about a live CD image is it
> creates a good restriction for building a nice focused working system in
> a reasonable amount of space. 1GB would more or less keep that; 2GB is
> starting to introduce an awful lot of wiggle room for not caring about
> including useless crap.

Nah, this is a bad reason - and if it's the case we're already doomed.

(FWIW, I don't think it's the case - I trust Matthias and other Live CD
desktop maintainers to put only sensible stuff on our images.)

Also, no-one says we _must_ include useless crap or even use all of the
space. And no-one says the space we're going to use is to be used for
software. I've advocated earlier that we should try and promote things
like Ogg Theora. For example, we could include

  http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/

on the media. In my view, that would make Fedora a lot more appealing.

> And remember, large USB keys may be cheap as chips nowadays but
> bandwidth ain't, always. Aren't there still people in Australia with
> absurd caps like 10GB/month?

They do have mirrors in Australia.

> I'm not sure I like the idea, if the idea is 'stop doing a small
> functional live image and make our smallest 'complete-out-of-the-box'
> image 2GB big'.

No one says the desktop image should be "our smallest
'complete-out-of-the-box' image". In fact, I think it would be a mistake
to say it should be.

Also: Remember the days before live CDs? Back then, about 3+ years ago,
we didn't have any problems asking people to download a whopping six
CDs.

F13 will be released in 2010.

     David