Network Printing + Firewall..

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 09:47:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 07:27 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> Greetings...
>>
>> Any reason why scanning the network for printers is blocked in firewall
>> on the desktop live cd after install ( tested with 09/11/09  i686 iso)
>> or is this something we missed?
>>

> The firewall is an unsolved issue. We considered just turning it off for
> F12 (as some have advocated), but didn't have the courage to do it in
> the end. It is one of the bigger problems we have to tackle soon. It not
> only torpedoes printing, it also sabotages file sharing, music sharing,
> and so on.

Would something like the SELinux troubleshooter (BTW, I just love the
F12 one, kudos to the developers), catching denials generated by the
firewall and presenting the user a dialog to allow pinching the
appropriate ports, be a worth project to pursue? maybe something like
this do exist somewhere?

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com