upwards and onwards

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Nov 13 17:30:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:

> This is all fine and cool, but it is not going to help at all around the
> basic fact that an ever-growing percentage of the cd (is it 30% ?, maybe
> even more) is eaten by localization (translations, fonts, dictionaries).

Yes, we will have to tackle that at some point.  I am hopeful that it
will get some work done at the underlying OS (rpm etc) level because
it seems pretty important for virt/appliance-OS scenarios, and those
people make money.

>> And in addition to these, we generate a 2GB sized "full" install
>> (hopefully @gnome-desktop fits in 2G...) which could also go on a 3+GB
>> USB key or a DVD.  This image is spun as the "Full" installer.
>
> Noo, I don't want to see more alternatives. We already have the big
> problem right now that people choose to download the largely
> unmaintained DVD, just because it is bigger, and thus must be better...

By "DVD" you mean Standaconda-on-DVD, right?   My guess is the biggest
reason is it's simply listed first, but yes; once we have a larger
Live image, that obviates one of the reasons Standadonda DVD exists[1]

No, a Full install is @gnome-desktop.

> I don't think we want to have a situation of
> Live CD - minimal install, missing important things
> Full DVD - all the crap
>
> I'd rather see us work on a single image and try to make that as good as
> we can, instead of working on two suboptimal images.

I see it more like we should be sure that @gnome-desktop is good, and
then work within the constraints of the CD size to provide the best
that we can do.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Desktop/Whiteboards/UnifiedInstaller