upwards and onwards

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Nov 17 15:16:35 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 16:06 +0000, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > - Drop the CD size limitation and target a larger usb stick. We have
> > discussed this in the past. The main motivation for this is that we have
> > to fight every release cycle to make things fit on a CD, and we don't
> > have room to include our default office suite or example content.
>
> So...let me counter-propose this one with a multi-pronged solution:
>
> * Continue trimming the default install.  Adam did some work on
> removing Perl (where were we on that)?  The base comps group has grown
> all sorts of arbitrary stuff.

I stopped investigating the perl thing too closely once we dropped below
670M, but my recollection was that we were within one or two packages of
being rid of it.  The F12 live ISOs are currently 654M for i386 and 656M
for amd64, which is pretty impressive considering where we were during
the rawhide cycle.

There's only really one awkward perl dep chain left: anaconda's
mk-images.x86 calls syslinux' isohybrid, which is a perl script.
mk-images used to be in a separate scripts subpackage, but that got
re-merged during F12 by Jeremy shortly before he left; I don't know why.
The scripts that compose the anaconda runtime images and the anaconda
runtime itself are logically separate, and I don't think there's any
real objection to splitting them back off, so I'll look at getting that
done for F13.

I think we should do both things though.  We should keep refining the
packaging to fit as much good stuff in as little space as possible, but
we should be targeting a larger image than 700M.

> * Elevate the livecd inside Fedora to be more of a primary product; if
> someone uploads a package which takes significantly more space, we ask
> them to revert or fix

What's the state of our tools for monitoring this?  My guess is "dire".

- ajax