Fedora 12 Three-clicks Experience

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Nov 18 08:37:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 07:41 +0100, drago01 wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 5:22 AM, Jason D. Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com> wrote:
>
> > Fonts: LCD panel wasn't detected for sub-pixel rendering; fonts are blurry
> > by default. Overall font quality is poor in contrast to default install of
> > competitors' distros.
>
> Now, that the nasty patents expired we should be able to get better
> looking fonts in F13.
>
> I should ping bedhad to do that.

'Nicer' is subjective. I don't actually like the patented rendering, I
prefer the non-patented. The above isn't actually referring to the
patented stuff, anyway - just whether subpixel hinting is enabled by
default. I think it's a sensible idea; surely LCD displays are
sufficiently widely used by now that we could default to subpixel
hinting in the GNOME font configuration, and that would be the best
choice for the majority of users?

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey