Fedora 12 Three-clicks Experience

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Nov 18 08:40:00 UTC 2009

> On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 22:22 -0600, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
> > Video codecs: no offer or mention of RPMfusion in contrast to competitors'
> > distros. (fails the apple.com/trailers test)
>
> Just replying to this one for now.  The Fedora project cannot actually
> mention RPMFusion outside of how
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OtherRepositories is worded due to the
> type of content carried at RPMFusion and it's legality within the United
> States of America.  Since Red Hat is a US headquartered company, and RHT
> has legal responsibility over Fedora, Fedora needs to abide by US law.
> It is unfortunate, but contributory infringement is a nasty issue to
> deal with :/

also, it would arguably be against the Fedora project's goals even if we
legally-speaking _could_. Fedora is not about convenient access to
proprietary software for short-term benefit. Fedora prefers to encourage
the use of free / open source / unencumbered alternatives. I don't think
it would fit with the Fedora project's goals to offer proprietary
drivers, codecs or extensions such as Flash even if we had the legal
okay to do it.

free-yet-patent-encumbered codecs are a bit of a grey area, granted. I'm
not sure how the Fedora philosophy covers those.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey