example content

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 01:12:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:38:19PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 15:09 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > John Poelstra (poelstra at redhat.com) said:
> > > Show media has been both LiveCD and DVD.
> > >
> > > The LiveCD has always been a nice thing to encourage people to try
> > > because it can be tried without installing or overwriting their
> > > existing system.  So to me this is a loss because I doubt we'll be
> > > giving out USB keys from a cost perspective.
> >
> > If you want to give out spinning coasters, the move from giving
> > out CD-sized ones to DVD-sized ones should be fairly negligible.
>
> is this as true in, say, India as it is in North America / Europe?

Spot and I had the opportunity to ask this of a number of people from
China, India, Japan, and Singapore when we were Down Under a couple of
weeks ago.  They unanimously agreed that most of the hardware around
was at least DVD-ROM/CD+-RW compatible.  DVD writers are getting
traction.  They also agreed bandwidth tended to be more of a problem
than hardware.

So to clarify, if you're talking about having a DVD-sized Live image,
you also need to look into the media production cost difference
between mass-produced CDs and DVDs.  The Ambassadors who handle media
production should be able to give some estimates.

Just to make sure John's issue was addressed -- this would still be
Live media, try-before-you-buy ;-), just larger.  AIUI a user
shouldn't need to have 1.5 GB of RAM just to load the system even if
it's, say, a 1.4 GB image.