Fedora 13 Schedule

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Wed Nov 25 21:09:47 UTC 2009

On 11/25/2009 05:58 AM, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 19:44 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 15:57 -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
>>>
>>> The basic structure of Fedora 13 schedule has been set and will soon go
>>> to FESCo for final approval.  Once that happens I will build proposed
>>> schedules for: Documentation, Translation, Design, Marketing, and Websites.
>>>
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/13/Schedule
>>> http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-13/f-13-releng-tasks.html
>>>
>>> If you have constructive feedback for altering or enhancing the
>>> schedule, now is the time to give it.  If it would be helpful to create
>>> a public Desktop specific schedule I'd be glad to help with that as well.
>>
>> I don't think I have much constructive feedback, other than that the
>> development phase seems very short, with holidays and whatnot.
>
> I was just looking at that as well, and have came up with 5 months of
> development/testing (including from date F12 was released) for the
> cycle?  Just curious, isn't that kind of short?  And as stated above,
> not even realy 5 months, since all the major holidays are included in
> this cycle.

Fedora does not usually factor in holidays.  I've attempted to include
them in previous schedule drafts, but they were dismissed by others as
not being relevant to Fedora since we don't have official work days,
office hours, etc..  Granted if a serious freeze or release date
occurred during a major holiday period I'm sure they would reconsider,
but our release dates are such that they don't.

As Jesse said in a separate post we have committed to bi-annual release
dates around 31-OCT and 01-May each year.  During the first draft of the
Fedora 13 I raised this as a concern, noting that when the previous
release slips it steals time from the next release.

In the case of Fedora 12, an extra week was added to accommodate for a
series of conferences happening at the same time as key release/freeze
dates.  Two more weeks were added with the slip of the Alpha and Beta.
So you are correct, out of the gate Fedora 13 is shorted by 3 weeks
giving us almost a 5 month release window.

The flip side of this is Jesse's mention in another post about the
branch for Fedora 13 being open before the end of Fedora 12 and the thus
development being longer than five months.  I'm not sure how this works
out in reality for development--if they can really take advantage of the
early opening of the next release or if 95% of their energy remains
focused on the release at hand.

John