No IRC support in Fedora 12?!?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 17:56:04 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 04:09:37PM -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 22:29 -0600, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 10:40:47PM +0000, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > >
> > > Are Fedora developers aware of that? Is there some fallback plan to
> > > include IRC support in default Fedora Desktop spin in some other way?
> >
> > This is a fair point, since we do have live help channels on IRC and
> > not some other sort of messaging standard right now.  The
> > telepathy-idle package is 166KB according to yum info.  Does this
> > present a problem?
>
> No,the reason we didn't have a requires on tp-idle is that at the time
> (I think this was around the F10 timeframe, but I could be wrong) we
> didn't feel that it was ready to be installed by default.  If folks feel
> we should add the requires, I've got no problem with that.

I think the point that our default desktop should include a working
IRC client is a valid one, seeing as how IRC is one of our primary
methods of community support.

I've been able to use telepathy-idle successfully.  I removed my
existing GConf keys and ~/.config/Empathy folders to try to experience
defaults for a new user.  I was able to connect to FreeNode using the
dropdown list, join a channel, and send and receive messages
properly.

Brian, you may want to check to see if old settings from F10/F11
Empathy may interfere with current Empathy, and if so, how to deal
with them.  I support making this part of the F12 requires if
possible.  A change will require appropriate rel-eng ticketing and so
forth.