polkit-gnome-authorization missing

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 18 01:14:11 UTC 2009

Am Samstag, den 17.10.2009, 16:34 -0400 schrieb David Zeuthen:
> On Sat, 2009-10-17 at 09:49 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > To help me understand this better, can you give me a example? Let's say
> > I want to tweak PackageKit's policy to not ask for root password even
> > when untrusted packages are being installed,
>
> (this is not a good idea but let's ignore that for the time being)
>
> > how do I go about doing that?
>
> Did you look at the EXAMPLES section in the man page Matthias mentioned?
> If it's not clear how to do it after reading that man page, do ask here
> and ideally include a patch to the source for the man page. Thanks.

You want a person who not fully understands the concept to come up with
a patch?

Although I was able to configure Rahul's example, I still don't
understand the manpage. Let me give you some examples:

> Configuration for the Local Authority are read from files in
> the /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d directory. The file
> 50-localauthority.conf contains the settings provided by the OS
> vendor.
> [snipped]
> The Local Authority reads files with .pkla from the following
> directories ....

So what is the relationship between the .conf files
in /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d and the .pkla files
in /var/lib/polkit-1/? Do they coexist, does one overwrite the other or
are they generated from the conf files? If so, by what program?

> Allowed values are similar to what can be used in the defaults section
> of .policy files used to define actions

This is the first time .policy files are mentioned. Where are they and
what is their purpose?

> EXAMPLES
> The following .pkla file

We just learned that .pkla files live in /var/lib. So people are
supposed to edit files in /var/lib that get overwritten on the next
update?

>      David

Regards,
Christoph