Some recent changes

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Oct 20 15:53:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 08:48 -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
> Matthias Clasen said the following on 10/20/2009 08:33 AM Pacific Time:
> > On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 08:06 -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
> >
> >> I think removing the hide desktop button is a really bad change too.  I
> >> also don't understand why these changes continue to pile on when we are
> >> way past past alpha and feature freeze.  These do not seem like "bug
> >> fixes."  Are more changes planned too?
> >>
> >> Is there a compelling reason (e.g. user interaction study, etc.) why
> >> this change is being made and why it has to be made now?
> >
> > This change has to be made now because we want F12 to be as polished as
> > it can be. Dropping dead and refraining from any further changes at beta
> > time might be comforting to rel-eng and qa, but it is not conductive to
> > getting the best release we can.
> >
> > I strongly deny that we have to provide a 'user interaction study' for
> > every change we make.
> >

> Please quote the section above where I said you "have to provide a user
> interaction study." I still don't see the compelling reason for this
> change beyond that you thought it should happen.

Right, you didn't actually say that. I just read it that way. Sorry.

> Is this an upstream decision or maybe you "are upstream"?  I'm still
> trying to understand how all this works :)

There is no upstream in the default panel configuration - this has
always been our own. Look for redhat-panel-default-setup.entries in our
gnome-panel package. So yes, this is just our effort to come up with the
best initial panel configuration for the desktop spin.