Some recent changes

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Oct 20 16:13:20 UTC 2009

> On 10/20/2009 09:03 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> ?
> >
> > This change has to be made now because we want F12 to be as polished as
> > it can be. Dropping dead and refraining from any further changes at beta
> > time might be comforting to rel-eng and qa, but it is not conductive to
> > getting the best release we can.
>
> Neither is doing things at the last minute. If the changes were so
> important, why weren't they done earlier? The show desktop icon has been
> the default for many many years. What is driving the sudden change?

Last minute is hardly accurate when we still have 4 weeks to go to the
actual release. Thats 1/6 of the entire devel cycle. Polish changes are
happening now because F12 feature development is finished, so we have to
time to concentrate on polishing things for the release. Any change
appears sudden the moment it happens. At least if you are not paying
close attention. We have been making polish tweaks to the default
desktop configuration for a while now, so this should not come as a bit
surprise to you if you have been following rawhide. It will certainly
appear sudden to users who switch from F11 to F12. And it will do so
regardless if I do it in May or in October.

> > I strongly deny that we have to provide a 'user interaction study' for
> > every change we make.
>
> I think this just deflects the point that late changes frustrate end
> users and has the potential to cause problems.

What users ? There are no F12 users at this point. What we have right
now are testers, and I appreciate their feedback, but I judge it based
on the knowledge that most people have an initial negative reaction to
_any_ change.