Some recent changes

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 20 16:26:13 UTC 2009

On 10/20/2009 09:43 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> Last minute is hardly accurate when we still have 4 weeks to go to the
> actual release. Thats 1/6 of the entire devel cycle.

Post-beta updates are for fixing release critical bugs and other serious
issues and NOT time for "polish" especially when such polish includes
theme changes and removing the show desktop button from the default
panel without any discussion at all.

Polish changes are
> happening now because F12 feature development is finished, so we have to
> time to concentrate on polishing things for the release. Any change
> appears sudden the moment it happens. At least if you are not paying
> close attention.

I have been paying very close attention which is why I know that none of
these changes were ever discussed or explained anywhere in this list. In
other words, it appears as a sudden change precisely because it is just
a sudden change.

We have been making polish tweaks to the default
> desktop configuration for a while now, so this should not come as a bit
> surprise to you if you have been following rawhide. It will certainly
> appear sudden to users who switch from F11 to F12. And it will do so
> regardless if I do it in May or in October.

Yes but it will help if you make such changes after discussing it in
this list instead of just on IRC or internal team meetings. If you make
such changes earlier in the life cycle, it will allow more time to get
feedback and document the changes.

> What users ? There are no F12 users at this point. What we have right
> now are testers, and I appreciate their feedback, but I judge it based
> on the knowledge that most people have an initial negative reaction to
> _any_ change.

Testers are just early users. Everybody's feedback is biased. I hope you
don't discard everybody's feedback and just make whatever changes you
prefer. Nobody will appreciate that.

Rahul