Padding 10 in gnome-panel

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue Oct 20 17:04:18 UTC 2009

On 10/19/2009 02:36 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 15:15 +0400, Alexey Torkhov wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I’m wondering why was padding 10 added to default gnome-panel
>> configuration? My panel at 1280x1024 with bunch of elements has now
>> difficulties to fit them all. And at smaller resolutions, for example,
>> at netbooks that wouldn’t be useful at all.
>

> The padding was added because it makes things look less crammed
> together.

Wow. FWIW, I think it sucks. In any case padding 10 is far too large as
I can fit an icon in between every other icon -not to mention stuff not
fitting in the screen's width.

  If it doesn't work for you,

> gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/panel/toplevels/top_panel/padding 0
> gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/panel/toplevels/bottom_panel/padding
> 0

How do I set this for all users so that I can deploy it for all users
over all systems?

-- Jeroen