Some recent changes

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 20 19:39:35 UTC 2009

On 10/21/2009 12:43 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Take for example the XFCE or LXDE sig. From a quick look over the wiki,
> they have no separate mailing lists, no meetings, and I cannot find their
> design discussions or announcements. Nor the kernel team; they do not have
> long public meetings discussing kernel config options, or which kernel
> versions are going where.

Like I already indicated Xfce or LXDE is just one or two people. The
kernel team could be doing things better. If you want a good comparison
on how to do it, how about looking at a SIG with similar number of
people and a similar focus: Fedora KDE SIG.

* A very active mailing list
* Regular IRC meetings with agendas announced ahead of time
* Full meeting logs and a clear decision making process
* Summaries send to fedora-devel list

They have been doing this for *years*. The KDE SIG has steadily grown
over time while Desktop SIG has zero community members involved outside
of the Red Hat desktop team and the meetings are internal ones. Do you
believe that is a coincidence? I don't.

> Could this have come earlier, and been communicated better? Yeah, I
> think so.
>
> But I'm really struggling to see why the change from:
>  https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/7/74/Tours_Fedora11_010.png
>  http://notting.fedorapeople.org/Screenshot.png
>
> is really worth *this* much sturm und drang.

It is more to do with the long history of similar actions. The end
result might not be that obvious this time but the process is clearly
flawed and desperately in need of change.  Now, I do believe that
desktop team members are very skilled developers with a brilliant vision
on moving things forward but doesn't change the flaws.

Rahul