Some recent changes

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Tue Oct 20 19:44:29 UTC 2009

On 10/20/2009 06:31 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 17:54 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>
>> On 10/20/2009 05:33 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>>
>>> As I said upthread, defaults are overwritten by package updates.
>>>
>>> If you have never changed anything on your desktop, you will receive the
>>> changed defaults. If you have spent hours customizing every aspect of
>>> your desktop, those changes are in your personal GConf database and will
>>> not be overwritten by a package update.
>>>
>>> The situation is a bit different for the padding changes, since we have
>>> added new GConf keys here that did not exist before. Therefore, nobody
>>> has an explict value of 0 in their personal GConf database, and
>>> everybody will get the padding.
>>>

>> Does there exist an export/import tool for gconf database so that users
>> that would want to keep the old/their settings can use to export them
>> then just simply import it after upgrade/fresh install. That would keep
>> them happy and you guy's could introduce new changes targeted at new to
>> linux audience with less hassle..
>>
>> If such an tool does not exists what's the recommended way of backing up
>> system wide/personal gconf databases so we can document that somewhere..
>>
> I recommend gconftool-2 --help-load.
> It is unfortunate that these options are not documented in the man page.

Well it's more unfortunate that there is not export/import gui
application that allows the novice end user to do this as painless as
possible after all this is an "Desktop Environment" or that you could
have simply outline the steps needed to this...

Would you consider these would be adequate direction for a novice end
user upgrading from a previous fedora/gnome release and or are there any
additional steps needed for restore his desktop settings/experience as
in the previous release.

It's always good to take backup of gnome settings before upgrading to a
newer Fedora-Gnome-Desktop release encase any changes has been made that
does not float your boat. You can do so by simply open up a terminal and
run..

[user at example ~]$gconftool-2 --dump / > gconf.backup.xml  # To backup
[user at example ~]$gconftool-2 --load gconf.backup.xml  # To restore after
upgrade..

JBG