polkit-gnome-authorization missing

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue Oct 20 20:34:12 UTC 2009

On 10/20/2009 09:35 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Jeroen van Meeuwen (kanarip at kanarip.com) said:
>> Good god... So this is how you think you can determine whether
>> allowing users to install unsigned packages is a good idea or not,
>> better then anyone else can? I'm doubting whether you've ever
>> administered some real-life desktop systems
>
> Given that it essentially allows any user to root the box, yeah,
> I think it's a safe statement that it's a bad idea to grant that
> to users and not grant them other privleges.

Yes it does potentially allow users to nuke their systems if they know
how to, or install packages from people that know how to. Essentially,
those packages come from proprietary vendors that don't know how to just
because they are proprietary vendors, but if they were to know how to,
then installing their packages would nuke a system or two.

You're entirely right, both you and David. It is a very bad idea to have
your users install an RPM that is unsigned (which is not the same as an
untrusted source), and so we should all flip the bird to the customer
(also part of the ecosystem that enables Red Hat to pay your salary).

Last I'll say in this "discussion", FFS.

-- Jeroen