UI Discussion

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 08:39:49 UTC 2009

> On 10/21/2009 05:47 AM, William Jon McCann wrote:
>
> > <mccann> oh
> > <mccann> we should probably ditch the "stretch icon" option
> > <mccann> not even close to common enough to be there
> > <mclasen> thats an old eazel-era feature
> > <mclasen> from when nautilus was all about zooming in for more details
> > <mccann> yeah it is silly
> > * mclasen remembers fixing that up at some point
> > <mclasen> but I agree that it should probably go
>
> To focus on one thing:  I actually use this option quite often. My home
> or trash folder is bigger than the other items in a sometimes cluttered
> desktop to make it easy for me to drag something into it or click on it
> without having to spend much time focusing on it.  This is why getting
> feedback from users is important.
>
> I am sorry that I cannot stay on IRC all the time and I would prefer if
> more conversations happened on mailing list or atleast if the IRC logs
> were posted when such discussions happen. It would help understand
> things better even if we don't agree on the outcome.

Same here, though a little different purpose. Please do not decide for
users what isn't useful. Although, I has to say this function regressed,
at least for SVGs between F10 and F11 (sorry I didn't get around yet to
fill the bug, but I've heard it's a known regression) and resized SVGs
(when applying this on image previews) are rendered to bitmap in smaller
size than the final size is (I'd guess about 2 times smaller than the
final image), which makes it blurry.

And to the main topic: when you discuss some changes on IRC with one or
two other people, it's a good idea to let the community know about your
conclusions and discuss it with wider audience on the desktop list (in
your case) and *then* implement the agreed changes. Well, I have to
admit the F12 schedule has made it almost impossible for you if you want
to still make the "polishes" in time for F12... But please bear that in
mind in the future.

Martin