UI Discussion

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 18:00:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:04:12AM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 10/21/2009 01:40 AM, Owen Taylor wrote:
> >
> >  - How does the Fedora desktop work you? That's legitimate, just
> >    remember, you are not even a typical Fedora user, much less a
> >    typical computer user. So, discussion from this perspective
> >    is best if you can suggest ways that make Fedora better for
> >    you *and everyone else*.
>
> Considering Fedora has a defined target audience
> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Is_Fedora_For_Me) which is *not*
> 'everybody', I think people subscribed to this list are pretty much
> typical Fedora users.

Given that very discussion is ongoing, I think that page is not as
authoritative as it might seem at first glance.  Personally, I'm
pretty sure the people on this list are not typical Fedora users,
although they may be more typical Fedora *contributors*.  (And
certainly appreciated for that.)

> >If you want to be part of the Fedora desktop team, don't worry about
> >whether you are being consulted on every individual decision. Nobody is,
> >whether they have a @redhat email or not. Worry about what you can be
> >working on to make the desktop better. If you doing cool things to make
> >the desktop better and you are being ignored, and you aren't getting
> >those cool things in, complain! And if you want to help, and have the
> >time and skills to help, and its not clear what you should be doing to
> >help, complain about that too.
>
> But people outside of a small group are often made to not feel
> welcomed so after a while you stop bothering to try.

"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."

It would be great if we could turn this conversation into a
constructive effort to help make communication and collaboration
better.  Owen's email was a great step in that direction and I hope we
can keep the discussion focused on that effort.