Some recent changes

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Tue Oct 20 15:06:16 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram said the following on 10/20/2009 06:46 AM Pacific Time:
> On 10/20/2009 07:11 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:

>>> Why did you remove the show desktop button?
>> Because 'where did all my windows suddenly disappear to ?' is a very
>> frightening question for people who are not aware what they just clicked
>> by accident.
>
> They don't see the window list in the bottom? The show desktop button
> has been in the GNOME panel for years and years. I am not sure why you
> wait for such changes to be done at the last minute.  Where does such
> changes get discussed?
>
> If you had done it earlier in the development cycle and announce/discuss
> the changes before you do them, it would be helpful to gather feedback
> and document the gconf keys and what not in the release notes. These
> sort of unannounced changes done tend to frustrate people a lot.
>
> Rahul

I think removing the hide desktop button is a really bad change too.  I
also don't understand why these changes continue to pile on when we are
way past past alpha and feature freeze.  These do not seem like "bug
fixes."  Are more changes planned too?

Is there a compelling reason (e.g. user interaction study, etc.) why
this change is being made and why it has to be made now?

John