Some recent changes

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Oct 20 15:54:04 UTC 2009

> John Poelstra (poelstra at redhat.com) said:
> > I also don't understand why these changes continue to pile on when
> > we are way past past alpha and feature freeze.  These do not seem
> > like "bug fixes."  Are more changes planned too?
>
> I don't see how padding tweaks and fixing the icons to have a consistent
> order qualifies as anything other than a bug fix.

Consistent ordering, yes. Padding tweaks, mostly, but note the point
that what's happening is we're *adding* padding where before there was
none, and this makes icons take up a lot more space on panels. At low
resolution, it'll be pretty easy to have half your panel full of icons.

The changes that people have mostly worried about are the removal of the
'show desktop' button and the change in the default number of
workspaces. Those are straight configuration changes, not bug fixes, and
the rationale seems a bit debatable (I've never yet come across someone
who hit the 'show desktop' button accidentally and curled into a fetal
ball, but I'm willing to be shown some :>). I didn't yet catch a
rationale for the change in the number of workspaces.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey