Some recent changes

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue Oct 20 18:08:33 UTC 2009

On 10/20/2009 02:54 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Since some folks have wondered, here is a list of some recent changes we
> have done to the panel configuration in the desktop spin:
>
> - Gnote has been moved to the left, with the other launchers, the user
> switcher has been moved to the far right and the show desktop button has
> been removed.
>
> - We have added padding between objects on the panel. If you don't like
> this for some reason, you can remove it by
> gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/panel/toplevels/top_panel/padding 0
> gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/panel/toplevels/bottom_panel/padding 0
>
> - We have added padding between status icons in the notification area.
> If you like your icons close to each other, use
> gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/panel/applets/systray/prefs/padding 0

Not that I'm asking you to change anything of this back, you can knock
yourself out all you want.

I don't like these changes. I've changed them back with the commands
you've given me. I'll need to change them everywhere I go, and
everywhere I manage desktop systems. Again, I don't like these changes.

Next time, I might just re-consider using KDE (and have my users use KDE
as well, while I'm at it).

-- Jeroen