Some recent changes

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 20 20:22:58 UTC 2009

On 10/21/2009 01:31 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> No, I'm saying that when the XFCE and LXDE SIGs say they have 7-10 members
> each, how am I supposed to know that they actually have only one or two
> active development members, as you state? I'm not psychic.

You bought up the argument after I told you that only one or two people
are involved in reality in the other SIG's. If you don't want to believe
me feel free to ask the SIG leaders or look at who is doing the package
updates.

> You stated that a group is 'clearly flawed and desperately in need of change'
> when they're not following a process that you don't follow in your own SIGs.

No real comparison to the desktop team at all in terms of number of
people involved, all working full time or the impact in Fedora being the
default download. The higher expectations comes with the higher impact.

To clarify, I am not part of the any desktop SIG's anymore. I was part
of the Xfce SIG in the past when I was doing the spin and my work was
limited to only the spin (make changes in ks file, testing them etc) and
I did send some reports to fedora-devel list I made or blog about the
changes.  Xfce in Fedora was mostly just inheriting upstream changes
anyway.

If you care about it a
> lot more, how about working to enact some of these changes (summaries to
> fedora-devel-list, for example), rather than constantly complaining?

How do I summarize changes without understanding the rationale for many
of the changes or who are the decision makers?  I have written loads of
documentation including for the desktop beat in the release notes. I
maintain a few packages that are part of the desktop spin including
transmission, gnote, clutter etc and I have volunteered already to do
more. It is not merely complaining. I resent your characterization of
the debate.

Rahul