Padding 10 in gnome-panel

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue Oct 20 20:39:21 UTC 2009

On 10/20/2009 07:08 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 19:04 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

>>> The padding was added because it makes things look less crammed
>>> together.
>>
>> Wow. FWIW, I think it sucks. In any case padding 10 is far too large as
>> I can fit an icon in between every other icon -not to mention stuff not
>> fitting in the screen's width.
>
> I didn't know our panel would shrink down to a height of 10. But be that
> as it may, to make a system-wide gconf setting change, do
>
> gconftool-2 --direct \
>     --config-source =xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.system \
>     --type int --set /apps/panel/toplevels/top_panel/padding 0

Returning to a slightly earlier question in a different thread, which
has been unanswered for like... 30 seconds or so ;-)

Is there a utility that can show me what kind of settings are available,
and optionally configurable? Note I would not like to delegate to
someone to run sabayon every release.

I would rather manage a default and/or mandatory configuration file of
which I presume one is "/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.system", but what is the other?

-- Jeroen